Philemon's Hope Jail Ministry
Bringing hope in Christ to break the bondage behind bars and beyond...
"I was in prison and you came to me." ~ Matthew 25: 3
Philemon's Hope is a jail ministry that began July 7, 2017. Philemon's Hope comes from the book of Philemon in God's precious Word, the Bible. It tells the story of a runaway slave/ prisoner, (Onesimus) of a well to do citizen of Colosse, named Philemon. Onesimus fled to Rome and through God's guidance, not by chance, was met by Paul and discipled. His life was transformed and blessed by God.
Our Purpose and What We are Doing
Philemon's Hope wishes to bring hope in Christ to those imprisoned by showing God's love, God's grace, God's liberty and God's plan for their lives. Then upon re-entry they are to be accountable to follow through. The most important thing a person can do is turn from sin and trust in the name of the Lord. This is the first thing we try to give attention to when ministering to someone who in incarcerated. They have to first realize that even if they gain their freedom, they can still be in bondage to the sins of the world.
We have a Savior who has paid our sin debt and is willing to set us free! John 8:36 says "For whom the Son makes free, is free indeed." Then we start on a plan of action for their lives.
- Initiating a relationship
- Getting to know their story
- Offering encouragement
- Sharing hope in Christ
- Designing a plan of action
We begin with prayer and Bible study. Incarceration does not stop us from serving God and getting spiritual and mentally prepared to start a new life in Christ. Their way did not work. Now we are going to let God lead them with prayer, Bible study and obedience to God.
Once They are Released
So now they have asked for and received God's guidance. Let's get them started living the life God intended for them by following the plan that was started while they were incarcerated. We are here to provide assistance and Godly guidance each step of the way. Some of the areas we assist:
- Job placement
- Transportation assistance
- Drug/ alcohol rehab assistance
- Assistance in finding a good, Bible based home church/ small group
- Personal and family counseling
- But above all, spiritual guidance and education
Each person must learn and participate in accountability for their actions, good or bad. These are traits and actions of a responsible and productive member of society. This along with a close and personal relationship with Christ is our goal.
- Souls saved
- Job placements
- Men placed in permanent housing as well as working with some temporary housing until they are employed and able to afford permanent housing
- Letters sent to courts on behalf of the men
- Increasing contacts every week
How You Can Help!
We have specific needs with this ministry:
- Soft back Bibles including large print, regular print, Spanish and Spanish study Bibles
- Devotionals (Daily Bread, Guideposts, etc.)
- FINANCIAL donations to meet the needs of those to whom we are ministering (Make checks payable to Rushton's Hope for tax credit)